Saturday, March 8, 2014

Save the Bay Swim

There are times you register for races and your pulse goes up and you have that "oh shit" moment after hitting submit during registration. I can recall all of the times this has happened: CVS 5k, my first race ever Newport marathon, 1st marathon Crabman Tri, 1st tri NYC marathon, it's NYC! Providence 70.3, 1st half ironman Run 4 Kerri, 1st race post baby It's not every race or event but when it happens it bring the excitement back to training and competing. It's easy to fall in a rut and forget how fun this can be. So in my sleep deprived delirium I decided to register for an event that has been on my bucket list for a number of years. The Save the Bay swim, 1.7 miles from Newport to Jamestown. Open water across the Bay, even thinking about it I get the jeebies. Open water swims stress me out and push me to the edge of my comfort zone. There is a lot that can go wrong: drowning, sharks, big fish with biting teeth, jelly fish, rogue waves, sea monsters...I could keep going but will stop before I have a full on panic attack. So why? Why not, you only live once and this is the year that I'll swim from Newport to Jamestown and will forever brag about it. I'll swim with friends and come out of the water to my cheering husband and 2 kids. Yipes, 2 kids! Even a month in I'm having a hard time realizing this is our new reality. Haven't quite figured out a training plan yet, it would be helpful if our newest family member would sleep a bit more but we'll get there. In the meantime I did escape this morning for another run. Things are slowly coming back and feeling less wonky, the key to this return to running will be patience and listening to my body. Good thing I have this swim to train for :) Ran 4.6 miles today

No comments: