Sunday, April 27, 2014

Scott Gorham 5k

If you haven't figured it out yet, commitment is not our strongest skill set. Today had been penciled in as the Newport 10 Miler, in fact I believe we were responsible for at least 2 other registrations. The race never happened. I'll give it to Joe, he made a good faith effort in the training dept. Lets be real, an.8am.start.an.hour.away.with.2.kids.in.40.degree.weather.same.day.as.nieces.birthday.party is a terrible awful idea. So we settled on a local 5k instead. We settled on this Saturday night, again we are commitment-phobes lately. This was the first race post baby and I was feeling pretty bad ass about it. There was some debate about which parent was going to get stuck behind the beast. Joe was adamant that he would fall on the sword so I could run hard, I think he just didn't want to deal with my ego when I beat him with the beast. I haven't been training and runs have all been pretty slow up to this point so I had no idea what to expect. Oh, forgot to mention, this was a TINY race. Itty bitty, meaning there was a real chance we could claim last place. Gun goes off and away we go. Rumor was it was a flat course and thankfully this was true. I started to run and decided to just go hard and ignore the heart rate. Kept glimpsing at my garmin and noticed pace was in the 8:30's. Too fast but went with it. First mile was 8:51. As you can guess I slowed down and paid dearly for going out too hard. Two reasons I didn't slow to a walk: 1. Husband is behind me with both kids and the beast. If he passes me I cannot go home. 2. I'm running with a dad and what looks to be his 9 year old son. If the kid can do it so can I. Miles 2 and 3 were in the 9:20's. And I likely could have pushed a bit harder on mile 3 but at that point wasn't really thinking about much. Unofficial finish time was 28:53 a 9:11 pace. I'll take it with little complaints. If I can stay injury free this summer I think I can make a run at my 5k PR this fall. And as for this race, I'd totally run it again. Very cute community based race. Family and stroller friendly and pleasant enough course through quiet neighborhoods. Ran 5k today.

No comments: