Monday, May 25, 2009

I'm back..

Well sort of. I stopped blogging about a month and a half before my foot injury knocked me out of the game. After 2 months of physical therapy and running on a strange treadmill, I've been running outside for about 2 weeks. I know I shouldn't complain. I also know that it's going to be slow going, but I'm getting frustrated. At first, things felt great. My first few runs were perfect, I felt good, had a great pace. I was like everything was back in sync, it was what running should feel like. Alas that did not last. My last 3 runs have been filled with pain and cramping. Nothing like my injury so I think I'm safe in that respect. Some of this I asked for, last week I ran 6 days with 2 days being fast on the track. Stupid I know, but as I said earlier things felt good. I'm now paying for it. Went my longest distance on Sat, 5 miles, and didn't felt good for most of it. So I took Sunday off, rested from everything. Had high hopes about today's run, got out there in within a half mile started to feel it again. I can't help but get pissed at the fact that prior to the injury we were running 45-50 miles a week, average runs being 7-10 miles and now I can't handle 3-5 miles every other day. I'll get back there, I have to if another marathon is in my future and there is NO way I will rest until I have caught up with Joe in the marathon tally. Enough already with the complaining. Here are the good parts about returning to the road:

1. Even with the pain I have been able to keep my pace at over a min faster than my pace pre-injury.
2. I'm out there and able to run with Joe again.
3. It does not feel like the original injury is returning

I started to chat these to myself today as I struggled down the blvd tonight. Here's hoping that my backing off and running every other day I continue to improve.

No comments: