Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Nothing left to do but smile

So we made it to the taper! Oh, sweet taper. The marathon is in 11 days, the training is effectively done. No more long runs, no speed workouts, no nothing. Well, not quite nothing but pretty close. There are a few things I have to do:


1. Accept the taper
Training didn't go as planned, injury in September threw me for a loop. I had to throw my plan out the window and improvise. With 11 days to go, I can't squeeze in one more 16 miler. I can't change how we trained. I feel strong, stronger than I have for previous marathons. I'm feeling good and able to run, these injuries threatened to sideline me, but they didn't.

2. Stay Healthy
Easier said that done, this H1N1 has me sweating! I have become terrified of all symptoms of illness and am contemplating walking around with a mask. 26.2 will be hard enough healthy, I don't need a head cold to help me to the finish line. So if you are sick, stay away from me, it's not you it's me!

3. Don't get bored
When training for a marathon the training becomes your life, or at least a very big part of it. I ate, slept and dreamed about training. Spent hours pouring over my logs, looking at what I've done in the past. Joe's least favorite saying is "lets do the math", trying to count up miles. Now what? I'm going to do some short runs, stay on the bike and get excited!

11 days to go, only have to focus on the above 3 points, easier said than done! I can say again the training didn't go as planned, but I am very pleased with the miles we put in. I have been running hard since June 4th, I'm as ready as I'm going to be, have overcome and healed some painful injuries. Let's hit the fast forward button and get moving on finishing this!

Days till NYC: 11
Miles trained today: 3.2

No comments: