Saturday, February 22, 2014

back to the mat

My run last week was a little much. Not sure if it was the run, labor and delivery recovery or sleep deprivation but it took several days for me to get over it. Additional problem might be my shoes that are getting close to the 1 year mark and have holes in them. Don't judge, what was the point of replacing them mid pregnancy when I would have just squished the sh*t out of them?? Needless to say I'm in no rush for another run, maybe later this week but not til I have new shoes. There was even talk of a May half marathon at breakfast...likely a lofty goal but one can dream. So I headed back to the yoga studio this morning. With my first pregnancy I was a pre-natal yoga freak but this time around I had a hard time finding a class that matched my schedule so it had been a while. For my local readers, I highly recommend Alison's class on Saturday morning's at Shri Studio in Pawtucket. Not only is it physically strenuous but emotionally fulfilling...not to mention filled with great music. Plenty of space for breath and stillness. It took 1 downward dog for me to instantly realize how much strength I've lost over the last several months. There was a moment of being slightly bummed and then I remembered why I took time off...the 2 week old baby at home....really time to get over myself and just be in the moment. As quick as those negative thoughts entered, I breathed through them and was able to clear my mind and just move. The flow came back with little effort and old muscles that have been in hiding started to stir. Things are definitely still loose and making their way back to a new state of normal. There were lots of modifications but it felt good. Today was the first day that both Joe and I were able to get in workouts, something we celebrated with a high five at lunch. It's these small steps towards normalcy that are keeping us sane in the midst of sleepless nights and early mornings. We aren't in the swing of things yet but moving in that direction. Completed 90 minutes of yoga today

No comments: