Sunday, February 16, 2014

She's here!

Baby girl arrived last Saturday and we are all healthy and happy. After a long week at home I decided for better or worse today was the day I would run again. The midwife discharged me with no restrictions, maybe not the smartest call on her part, and I've been feeling really good. Recovery this time has been worlds different than with my son. Physically and emotionally I'm in a better place. Going from 1 to 2 kids has been easier than 0 to 1, at least for us it has been. I was a little torn about going to the gym 8 days out, but again have been feeling good, why not try it. There was some definitive guilt when I walked out the front door and left Joe to fend for himself. Irrational mom thoughts about how I needed to be there even though everything was timed to match feeding and nap schedules. Then if I'm going to leave shouldn't I be productive and go to the market or run some important errand? I turned off the brain and headed for the gym. My workout was nothing special, 30 minutes on the treadmill. 1 mile run, 2 mins walk, 1 mile run, 2 mins walk and 5 mins of running while increasing the speed every 30 seconds. Things didn't feel great, but they could have certainly felt worse. It's been a long time since my last run and my joints reminded me of this. Everything is looser than I remember it feeling. But you know what, it's done. My first run post delivery is over. My first run as a Mom of 2 is in the books. It still blows my mind that we have 2 kids, seems like not long ago we were 2 love struck 18 year olds at summer camp. Here's to a new chapter filled with adventures, trials, successes, challenges and laughter. Ran 2.6 miles today

2 comments:

Pam said...

Congratulations! On the baby, the run, your growing family, all of it!

Jose said...

Congrats!!!