Sunday, February 15, 2009

the god awful parkway

I’ve been neglectful this week. Running has not matched with the rest of my life. After a panicked call to the coach, it was agreed I could recover this week and run what I could and next week get back into the swing of things. Saturday allowed for an opportunity to run part of the marathon route. Sounded like a great idea. We arrived at the Edge a few minutes early, instantly I started to plan my morning. If no one else showed, we weren’t going to run. Fat chance, we were joined by other eager runners in a few moments. Oh well, lets get tis over with.

Crossing the Henderson Bridge, I was going too fast, but it felt good. It was colder than I had expected or wanted it to be. Focusing on speed meant I wasn’t focused on the temperature. Not long after hitting the other side of the bridge, I fell back with my regular group, going at my regular pace. By now I had pissed off my legs, nothing like taking off like a shot without warming up in frigid temps. We stopped for a few minutes to stretch. I would be lying it I didn’t admit to wanting to turn back around and hit the car, alas we pushed forward.

I can tell you one thing, this marathon is going to suck. If you are planning on coming to cheer, please do me a favor, drive up Vet’s Parkway in East Providence, now image running up that. I told you it’s going to suck. Down by Dairy Bee, we turned back onto the bike path, if we had been on bikes I would have wished for it to be open. Unfortunately soft serve ice-cream in the middle of a 10 mile run it not a good idea, it better not be open during that marathon, that would be a bad joke.

Coming back along the bike path was nice and flat, but the wind was full on in our faces. Within minutes I couldn’t feel my chin. I would have complained but I could look to my left and see the dreaded parkway and was thankful we didn’t have to deal with that on the way back.

Overall a good run, I need to do more of these on the bike path. Newport was bearable because we had become so familiar with the route. The problem with this is East Providence is apparently very hilly and the people who designed this route are terrible running terrorists. Call me when they create a marathon on a fairly flat or with the slightest downhill grade.

No comments: