Sunday, February 22, 2009

Run, Interrupted

Off we went this morning, goal complete 14 miles. We were on our regular 4.2 mile loop. First loop complete! We lost our compadrie after that loop, her excuse; she had a kid at home who wanted to play. Joe and I stood around and debated stopping early, unable to come up with a good enough excuse we started out for loop #2. The weather was nice, in the 40’s with full sun and no wind. Just as we finished loop 2 I though the next 5.5 miles would be no sweat. Then the unthinkable happened, my running partner got sick. He wasn’t going to be able to go again! This had not happened to us yet! What to do, what to do?!?! I couldn’t leave him so we headed home. I promised myself I would get the 5.5 in later in the day. Those miles followed me around like a heavy weight. It got worse when the skies opened up and it began to rain all day. Around 5:30 I ran out of excuses. Joe was still not feeling up to running. No one else was dumb enough to head out there in this weather. Wait, I spoke too soon. I had forgotten about old faithful, Mia, my boring brown dog. I knew she could hang. I didn’t tell her about the rain when I got her ready to run. Poor thing, she was so excited, tail wagging, prancing around the house. Off we went. She did well, once we got out there it wasn’t as bad as I expected. The worst part was our anxieties about running alone at night in the dark. Both of us spook pretty easily. Since I’m here blogging about it, clearly, we completed the run safely. Back in the car we were dripping wet, but not cold, at least I wasn’t. I’m not sure she will follow me out of the house so willingly next time, but for today we got our miles in.

No comments: