Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Another reason to appreciate sleep

After last week I'm reminded why I won't trade in my kid for a new model, he's a pretty good sleeper, most of the time. You don't appreciate things until they are gone and the same goes for sleep. With him sleeping I had been able to amp up my workouts with little problem. Sure there were adjustments (the jogger, the blvd, dealing with naps) but for the most part I was still getting out there. Until last week that is. He stopped sleeping and almost instantly I stopped running. It was all I could do in the mornings to open my eyes never mind go outdoors. It wasn't even a conscious decision I had no choice in the matter, my body wasn't going to have it. After a few days I wondered if I would ever workout again. I know that working out is supposed to provide one with energy but that's bullshit to someone whose not sleeping. Slowly the kid I've grown accustomed too returned and his evil twin left and we all got some sleep. And after an unexpected recovery week I'm back at it again. I have a new found respect for any parent who can maintain fitness sleep deprived, I wasn't up to the task.

Miles run today: 3

No comments: