Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Cold Morning

26 degrees. That's what Frank from channel 10 told me before I left the house this morning. We got out there and it was cold but at first didn't feel that bad. Heading up Charles St. to Mineral Spring things started to settle it. It was cold. On Mineral Spring my eyes started to burn. Mind you this was all before we were 1 mile into the 7 miles we set out to do. I turned my ankle a little while later and as I walked it off there was a sense between us that we could turn around and head home. Some nice expresso would make us both forget about how terrible it was. The trick with moment like this is that we can't vocalize it to each other. Without a word we picked up the pace and started down the road. This was a new route following Mineral Spring into Pawtucket and turning onto Lonsdale to North Main. The biggest excitement of the 7 miles was being a witness to a car accident. Some dummy pulled out onto Mineral Spring (not looking) and slammed into the person coming towards us. There were a few seconds of excitement and then those involved in the accident took off in separate directions. Heading down Lonsdale we ran past the Hope Artist Lofts and saw a sign about a winter farmers market on Saturday's. If I can walk after the 14 miles we are scheduled to run on Sat, I plan to check it out. Heading down North Main was brutal. I could see Charlesgate well before we reached it. It was here that we ran past the only other runner we saw that day. There was no awkward runner's wave, heads down plowing forward, cursing the frigid air. Finally down Randall Square towards Charles, getting close now. Running past a bus stop we drew some odd looks from those waiting for the bus. I would stare as well, it was too cold to be outside by choice. Once we it Borelli's bakery I knew we would finish a half mile to go and wouldn't you know "Eye of the Tiger" started to blare out of my i-pod. Perfect Timing. It was a cold run but we finished and are that much further along in our training. Getting ready for work, Kelly Bates informed me that although it was 26 degrees the wind made it feel like 19. I just spent 70 minutes outside in what feels like 19 degrees by choice. Who says running isn't an addiction?

No comments: