Saturday, January 3, 2009

The start of a new training log

Who knew how thrilling it would be to enter my first run into my training log of 2009. Too bad it took me until the 3rd to do so, excuses, excuses. We did 13 miles today. Started at the Edge Bakery. I took off with a faster woman from our running club. As I felt my calves burning I knew I couldn't keep the pace for the entire run but I wanted to see how far it would last. Unfortunately once we turned onto the Blvd we were running into the wind and once hitting Alfred Stone it was covered in snow. I held the quicker pace for 5 miles or so. At that point Joe was happy to chat with a different runner and took my place as I felt behind. We had to alter our route slightly due to the road conditions. After dropping off a compadrie at the Edge again we headed down Elmgrove and picked up our familiar morning route. At this point Joe and I were on our own and tired. At 9.5 we ducked into a restaurant entrance sucked down our Gu, whined a little about the cold and the snow and took off again. At this point we were too far in to turn around. Down on Hope St the wind picked up and was now at our backs. At one point I thought it was going to lift me off the ground (good thing it was blowing from behind). Gano was our last hill and it felt like we were climbing Everest. FiNALLY the last stretch down Angell St. We were both surprised that we finished it just seemed to go on FOREVER!! A challenge for our first one of the year is appropriate given the goals we have for our running this year. Bring it on!

No comments: