Saturday, July 23, 2011

Indoors already

It didn't take long. When I was banished into the gym this winter, I was so envious of those who were running on the road. I remember leaving work and glaring at runners out on the blvd, promising that I would never needlessly run on the treadmill again. Where did I find myself this morning? That's right, on the treadmill. The kid did not cooperate last night and as a result no one in our house slept longer than 90 minute increments, meaning there was no way I was going to make it to The Edge. It was around 10am when Joe and I finally conceded defeat and got out of bed, it was also already into the 80's and humid out. Realizing that I would feel better after leaving the kid and forgetting the hell he had reigned on us for the last 12 hours I remembered the old gym membership we had been neglecting since his birth. Suddenly the treadmill with it's a/c never seemed more appealing (not to mention the kid isn't on the membership yet meaning I would be gaurenteed some alone time). The next 45 minutes were spent sweating on a machine with music blaring through my headphones running in place. At times I caught myself closing my eyes and am not sure it was due to exhaustion or just relishing the moments alone. My body continues to reject the idea of returning to running but we are working that out. And to those getting concerned about the tone I am using to refer to the kid and his terrible nighttime antics, please relax, after this run I was met at the gym by a father and a happy baby. We may have been beaten last night but hope remains eternal.

Miles run today: 3

No comments: