Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Almost always prepared

I've found that the key to a happy kid and therefore my own inner peace, wellbeing and happiness is always being prepared.  We used to laugh Joe's brother and sister-in-law who would roll up to events with a pink canvas bag big enough to fit a smart car.  The bag was always loaded with supplies, you name it and it was in the big pink bag.  Now we understand the necessity of the bag and have sent our apologies for ever doubting it.  I don't own a XXL canvas bag and although there are times I've thought it might come in handy, I've relied on my SUV.  No longer a car, it's my mobile parenting station.  Inside I have a box of cheerios, not a snack sized box, but the real deal.  Almost all melt downs can be solved with cheerios and I'm not organized enough to remember to refill the snack cup daily.  We also have several books, cars, blocks, balls of various sizes and shapes.  If I'm lucky the diaper bag is in there and stocked, if not there is usually a rouge diaper in the back seat.  Typically there's a gallon of water for beverages and a wide variety of cups and water bottles.  My next car needs  mini fridge for easier transport of milk and a running sink would also be good.  In addition to all this basic parenting stuff I've learned that I always have to be ready to run.  My runs never happen as planned and I can't bank on having time to change.  I'm at a point in my life where 85% of my time in spent in running gear, ready to go at a moments notice.  Case in point, I was not dressed to run on Sunday and ended up going 4+ miles at the end of Fully's marathon in completely inappropriate attire. Joe met me mid-morning on Monday and I was appalled that he wasn't ready to run.  He didn't think about it as we hadn't discussed it earlier.  Get with the program man, there's no time to talk about a schedule!!  To ensure I can run at any time with no notice not only am I always in my sneaks, black capri's and layers of different tops (indoor or outdoor) but the stroller has to be there.  My jogger lives in the trunk, if it's ever not there a hissy fit follows and it's not the kid throwing the fit.  Today was one of those days, a run needed to happen and I wasn't sure when or where.  Found myself near the Blvd with some time to kill.  In a matter of moments were were out of the car, loaded with snacks and toys and ready to run.  The only thing missing was my Garmin, being the Blvd I have a good idea of how far I went as well as how hard I was pushing it.  I can't store the Garmin in my car, too afraid it'd get lost with all other crap in there!
 
Ran 3+ miles today

1 comment:

Pam said...

That's hilarious. I love that you used to make fun of the big pink canvas bag... Now that I've had a baby, I realize the only time I ever "knew" anything about anything was before she was born!!!