Monday, October 29, 2012

Swimming during a hurricaine

Nothing makes my blood run cold but the thought of being stuck in the house for possibly 2 days with the kid.  We continue to survive by going out.  Out most of the day, most days of the week.  We'll go anywhere but need free open spaces where yelling, screaming, running, and falling are all tolerated.  Other children being present helps, it's always nice when my kid isn't the only loud one.  All of our go to places were closed today, just when panic set in I reflected on last winter.  When I was thinking of my training last winter and how committed to it I was, I realized today it was because it allowed us to go out on even the most terrible days.  I was committed to training not because I was hard core about the workouts, it was all about keeping my sanity and finding a place to play no matter the weather.  This hurricane was just the motivation needed to dig out my bathing suit and hit the pool for some laps.  I will not admit to how long it's been since I've completed a swimming workout, but long enough that I 'm rusty on swimming math.  Yards, lengths, laps, 50's, 250's...I'm going to have to do some review before I get back in there.  But it also didn't take long for my mind to wander and think about longer distance swimming events, Save the Bay has been on my bucket list for a while now.  Maybe that becomes a winter goal?  Regardless, I continue to love the Y and love that it'll be there to get us through another season of hurricanes, noreasters, ice-storms and too much snow to measure.

Swam for 30 mins, 40 easy mins on the trainer

PS - Just got word the Y is closed tomorrow....anxiety is already building!

No comments: