Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Chiropractor appt

I'm breaking my own rule and blogging on a day that I didn't workout, forgive me. I have stuff to say and time to sit and write. So went to the chiropractor today and I think I liked it. Saw Dr. O'Brien at Bayside Chiropractic in Providence as recommended by by acupuncturist for the pubic symphysis pain. I was a mix of nerves and curiosity at the start of the appt. We started with a brief history and the standard questions of how much pain, where, what kind and so on. I have low B12 and get monthly injections and there was some side conversation about this that lead me to believe that this guy knows his sh*t. He also uses the same vitamin line that my acupuncturist does, gives him some automatic cred in my book. I was instructed to hop off the table and walk back and forth several different ways, it's here that I learned that I could not pass a field sobriety test. Try to walk heel to toe in a straight line when you can't see your toes! Then things got funny. He pressed on my left shoulder and there was a lot of discomfort, he puts a belt on me and the pain goes away. Bizarre. I said out loud that it was weird and he called me out and reminded me that some of the stuff that happens in acupuncture is more weird. Point taken, continue. The entire session was totally not what I expected, I thought adjustments would be accompanied by sharp tugs at my body and loud cracks and this was very gentle and relaxing. The best part was the fancy pillow on the treatment table that allowed me to lay on my stomach! Pure Bliss! His final thoughts were that yes my pubic symphysis is acting up, as well as some strange stuff going on in the SI joint and the hips were out of alignment. Treatment? The SI joint is taped and will remain so until Sat, I'm also supposed to ice 2x a day for 20 mins. I have a gel to apply to my belly that will also help. Bummer is that I'm not allowed to swim for 3 weeks. I'll be honest I pushed back a lot here. This guy is out of his mind if he thinks I'm giving up exercise totally for 3 weeks which was his first recommendation. His rational for the swimming made sense, my pelvis is rocking all over the place and if the goal is stabilization this isn't helping. I'll stick with my stroller fitness and prenatal yoga and see how it goes. He wanted to see me twice a week to start off but given the state of my sh*tty health insurance, (I'd say more but am being censored by the husband who is responsible for said sh*tty health insurance), that's not affordable so we settled on once a week for now. I figure he was more throughout than my experience with PT and his mindset was more along with other providers I have trust in and have had good experiences with so we'll go with it for now and see. He was a bit cocky, when I was leaving I asked if he really felt he could make a difference in my pain levels and he looks at me and asks if I looked at his website. "Pregnancy is what we do", he says. Here's hoping.

No comments: