Friday, November 29, 2013

Streaking

If you are on facebook or twitter at all there is all this buzz about streaking through the holiday season. Basically promising to run everyday from Thanksgiving to New Year's. I read an article in the NY Times this am about how just 45 minutes a day of activity during the holidays is enough to counteract all the unhealthy (but delicious) holiday festivities. I've never done anything like this, although with previous years trainings have likely come close. I am a fan and proponent of the day off and you don't take a day off if you are streaking. I'm also in no condition to run every day, but could conceivably complete some kind of workout daily. I thought about this in the pool this morning and quickly started to list of reasons why this won't work. Joe is traveling a good amount, I have a conference in Boston, weekend shifts galore, rush of abbreviated holiday season, and so on and so forth. But this is important, it's a healthy motivator and a fitness challenge (one of the few) that I can actually accept. So it's on. Starting today until 1/1 I'm going to make my best attempt at no less than a 30 minute workout. Just as I'm quick to brag about my accomplishments, I'll be sure to report on any days that I'm not successful. Workouts will consist of likely yoga, swimming, stroller class, running (waddling), the push up challenge (more on that another day). Joe is in, anyone else? Swam for an hour today.

No comments: