Friday, June 5, 2009

15 minutes darker

It's amazing what a little kick in the butt can do for your motivation. For the last week or so I have been complaining about my legs and not completely committed to the idea of a fall marathon. NYC changed all that, there is now no longer the debate before a run, I just go. The alarm went off at 4:45am this morning. It's amazing the difference 15 minutes makes. Getting up at 5 and leaving at 5:15 means we are leaving when it's fairly light out. This morning it was pitch dark. All three of us were pretty cranky about it. Could have been it was Friday and no one wanted to get up, but I"m thinking that if it had been a little lighter we would have been slightly more chipper. Regardless we headed out. Down the the Blvd, like most days. I have to day I think at this point I could run that road blindfolded as many probably could. We added another mile to our morning route, the first of many small extensions over the next 20 weeks I'm sure. I was pretty uncomfortable for the first 3 miles and then started to settle into the run. The last 2 miles definately felt good and the pace was quicker. Let's see how tomorrow goes, I would like to go 7.

My goal for NYC is 4:30, I have a lot of work ahead of me, strength building as well as speed work. I read in the NY times today that marathon runners tend to be a bit obsessional, I laughed out loud, it's all starting to make sense now!

Days till NYC: 148
Miles trained today: 5.9

No comments: