Friday, June 26, 2009

The run that came close to not happening

We got up early this morning, 4:40 to be exact. Got up and got dressed, made it down to the sofa and no further! I'm exhausted, which is expected at the end of a week before a recovery. It didn't take much convincing to get Joe out of his running clothes and back into bed. "We'll run later"...the dreaded words. There have been times I have said this so often I have completely ruined training weeks. I had promised myself that it wouldn't happen this time, I lasted 2.5 weeks.

Most of the time I can get myself moving before the draw to return to bed becomes overwhelming and especially now that we aren't running in weather with a below 0 wind chill. The problem with this logic, is that I'm a morning person. I always wake pretty early and get more done earlier in the day, running included. Typically the only time I run later in the day is for a track workout and that's only becuase I don't have much of a choice. I'm stuck tonight, if I don't run tonight I'm going to have to run 8 miles on Sunday and that won't happen after running 10 on Saturday. This is another thing that happens with training, I'm constantly doing math to find different ways to get my miles in for the week.

Finally at 7pm we got back into the running clothes from 4:40am and headed to Lincoln Woods. I have to say, if there is one place where you can appreciate the recent weather, it's there. It was beautiful! We headed out and within moments I realized I was not going to enjoy the scenery, I had my head down and focused on those hills. Let's be honest, no one enjoys running hills, but you have to do it. Joe has been told that the last 6 miles of NYC has some rolling hills and to prepare we should be running Lincoln Woods weekly. I don't really care, the last 6 miles of any marathon is pure misery, but I'll go along. Tonight I was sore from all my previous runs and my legs were clearly working hard to get up the hills. After one loop we called it a night, no need to kill ourselves. I wasn't pleased without time so will be interested to see it improve if we can build that into a regular part of our training, although my Achilles' would disagree.

Days till NYC: 127
Miles trained today: 2.5

No comments: