Monday, June 29, 2009

The excitement has worn off

It happened. It actually started to happen late last week. My excitement of training for the NYC marathon has worn off. This is really tragic because I'm miles away from my taper and months away from the race.

The thing about training for a marathon is that it my be top priority in your life. Running becomes more important than most other things in your life. All this for a race I won't even come close to winning. I won't win any money, in fact will spend lots of money to run the marathon: running clothes, sneakers, GU, entry fee, hotel, food, souvenirs that say I ran it. The thing with running 26.2 is that you can't cheat. If you don't train right it will kill you. Even well prepared 26.2 is a strain on the body. I have to want this marathon more than the training annoys me, and I do.

What to do, what to do. Last week I called it a draw, admitted to Bob that I didn't hit my miles and enjoyed the recovery. No long run, only 22.8 miles for the week. This week I'm out of excuses. The next three weeks I have to hit my mileage, 35, 38 and 40, all three with long runs, 10, 12 and 14. Next recovery won't be until 7/20! Ugh!

I'm going to stop thinking about it and just run. I made it through a track workout today and am 5 miles closer to the end of this week and 5 miles closer to the marathon!

Days till NYC: 124
Miles trained today: 5

No comments: