Sunday, June 21, 2009

It's all in one's perspective

Today was the Will Speck race. It was also the last day of running for me this week and the day we leave for VT. Needless to say I was anxious to get it over with. Running 8 miles yesterday left me with sore and tired legs today. I knew going in to it today was not going to be a PR. That's the nice thing about being a back of the packer, if I'm off by a minute no one really notices or cares. As predicted my time was slower than last week, 28:00. It felt as good as expected, a little tight. The real story is in the comparison.

I first ran this race 2 years ago. Spring of 2007 I got a flyer in the mail about a running club. At the time Joe was in school 3 nights a week and I was looking to meet some new people. I showed up at some meeting at Brown and people seemed real nice, I decided I would join. When I told Joe he laughed out loud, "a running club...you don't run!". I think just to prove him wrong, I joined and continued to show up on Wednesday nights. I was the slowest and had no idea what I was doing. I ran in cotton sweatpants and t-shirts. Joe's curiosity got the best of him and he ended up joining, even though he too was not a runner at the time. The Will Speck race was the first race I would run with the club. I had done a few (2) 5k's prior to this. I remember my goal was to finish without walking. I was so nervous, Joe was away that weekend so I was on my own. I finished and did not walk, my time was 33:53 a PR for me! Although I didn't know what PR meant. I was so pleased. Getting off the track that day I called everyone I knew to brag about my accomplishment.

2 years later I have run countless races, wear real running gear and can talk like a runner now. It's not often I think back to how i started but I couldn't help but be reminded today!

Days till NYC: 132
Miles trained today: 4.2
Miles trained this week: 33.4

No comments: