Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Sweat test

I took a test this morning and didn't have to study. Dehydration is a big topic with the heat wave and I have continued to run. So today I weighted myself pre and post run to see what I had lost. Let me tell you why this was a terrible idea. I weighed myself prior to drinking any water and then was parched immediately after stepping off the scale. We then ran, rather, waded though an hour of 94% humidity - again no water. The ride home seemed like double the normal time it takes. At times I was hallucinating, seeing little water bottles along the road. All of this to show that I lost over 2 lbs in sweat. Great news! Why parch myself for this? I don't have a good answer. I also did nothing new with this info. Finishing the run I took a cold shower and drank my normal amount of liquids (plus a little too much ocean water during an evening swim). Next time I won't listen to Runner's World and will just continue on with my routine. Maybe it's a bigger deal to those who run faster or further than I do, or those who don't consume copious amounts of water per day. Just another useless little running fact: on days where the humidity is a 94% and I run for an hour, I can expect to sweat out over 2 lbs of water.

Miles trained today: 1 hour - distance not measured
Days till Beach 2 Beacon: 33
Chicago: 96

No comments: