Monday, May 28, 2012

What to wear in that dirty water...

Let’s talk about the swim. In a moment of panic (well several moments last night) I decided that there was no way I could swim the 1.2 miles in under the hour and 10 min cut off. So I hit the pool this morning to prove myself that I can. I can and I did, the time spent in the pool has paid off. The US Olympic Team wouldn’t be impressed with me, but considering it was less than 2 years ago when I could barely manage a dog paddle I’m happy. So now that I don’t have to worry about time constraints, let’s discuss my other concerns:


1. Fashion. In previous tri’s I’ve gone with tight running shorts under a wet suit with a sports bra. I finish the swim, peel off the wet suit and throw on a tank top and hop on the bike. It’s a system that has worked for me and kind of how I planned to roll for the 70.3. Here’s the issue, last year the water was something like 79 degrees and they outlawed wetsuits. I guess people could wear the suits if they desired but that wave started dead last. Meaning they were the last ones on the bike and run course as well. I’m questioning my performance enough that I don’t need to voluntarily be in the last wave that hits the water. I think I have to train and prepare as if I’m not going to wear a wet suit. I can’t swim in just my running shorts and a sports bra, and I’m not running 13.1 miles in a bathing suit. It might be time to start looking into tri specific clothing but I’m wincing at the thought at having to admit to Joe that I’ve spent one more dollar on this whole thing….

2. Open water swims. Yes, I know that I need to break up with the Y at least once a week and hit the open water. This is going to be slow going similar to forcing myself to the dentist. I’ve got the pool down; I hop right in and start swimming to no where. It’s not exactly clean but I can see the bottom and there’s a happy little life guard to yank me out if needed. Oh…I forgot…they also provide free babysitting during my swims; I won’t be able to leave him on the beach. The open water requires a change in my schedule. It also requires that I force myself to be friendly with strangers. Not one of my strong points, but swimming alone is just stupid and I have yet to convince a friend to join me.

Trained for 1.2 miles in the pool and a 3 mile run

No comments: