Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Fitness in the Park RI

Today we tried something new, last weekend I ran into another Mom who had been in a music class last fall. She mentioned this stroller friendly workout group and since I'm home now I figured we give it a try. I'm not sure how many were there today, 8 or 9. Everyone with a stroller, 2 with doubles and kids of all ages. The class was a mix of running broken up with periods of active stretching, ab work and strength work. At first I felt very silly but then got into it. Granted it was hot today but I ended the class with a good sweat and warmed up muscles. Although I would have run further on my own, I would not have done the arm and core work. Also the kid has been resistant to actually riding in the stroller and today he was totally agreeable. Some of that was this was new and I expect it to wear off, but he was in and out of it so the ride was broken up. That and he saw everyone else getting in their rides so peer pressure paid off. Everyone was very friendly and there appeared to be a variety of fitness levels and a focus on including everyone so no one was left behind. Some breaks he would imitate my moves, we did some planking together and grabbed is own band for some arm work. Overall a great class and one I'll try again. The conversation was needed, the workout was good, you are able to make it as hard or easy as your level of fitness demands. Better than looping the Blvd on my own, that's for sure. I'm not sure of the cost yet, as your first class is free. Classes are held on Blackstone Blvd every M/W/F and e/o Sat at 9am, they use Rhode Runner for an indoor space when it rains and more info can be found by searching the group on facebook.

No comments: