Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Sleepless nights

I ended my last post dreaming of a black hole filled with yoga pants and giant sweatshirts, I almost ended up there today. My kid was up all god damned night, beats me as to why. I'll blame teething b/c that's what parents do and no one questions it. You have a baby and everyone prepares you for sleepless nights, but then you find this good place where you do sleep again. It's a tease. Ordinarily my kid is a champion sleeper, 12 hours straight, then every so often we get a curve ball. An infant up at night is no biggie, bottle or boob them and they are back out. A toddler? I don't know what the F you do when they are up? You ask are you too hot? Yes. Do your teeth hurt? Yes. Are you cold? Yes. Are you just fing with us? Yes. I knew it was bad when somewhere around the 3am hour I heard Joe, "There is nothing wrong, I don't want to hear or see you until the sun comes up. Go to sleep". Don't judge unless you've been there and if you have we are accepting sympathy cards. PS - the statement didn't work, I was back in there around 4:30. So that said, this morning was rough. Coffee barely helped and as Joe got ready for work I contemplated spending the day in my sweats. What did the kid want to do? Run to the big playground of course. Ugh, at least if we go that route we don't have to speak for a while. The run there was no biggie, the normal huffing and puffing that doesn't seem to be getting better. Didn't someone say that all your problems disappear 2nd trimester? We arrived and after a few minutes of sliding and swinging the problems got worse. I had to pee. Bad. Likely only a teaspoon but my bladder doesn't know the difference. You know how sometimes on long runs over the summer when you get really hot and are out of water you start to become delirious about water and contemplate drinking out of the taps on the side of a strangers house...picture the same thing but with a toilet. The bigger issue is that once arriving at the big playground the kid has a routine that takes about 45 mins and messing with that leads to a rather large meltdown. F*ck. Finally I corral him back to the stroller and we face the 2 mile run to the car that will get us to a toilet. I'll be honest running back was a bit more like a run 2 blocks, walk a block while looking for a tree. We made it though, and of course when I did find a toilet there was barely a tsp to be released. It really might be time for depends. Ran 4 miles today.

No comments: