Saturday, January 2, 2010

Full Circle

Like many, my relationship with my in-laws has been rocky at times.  Today was one of those days where things came full circle.  Joe’s older sister, Jenn, started running last year after being there to cheer him on during the Providence Marathon.  It was soon after that we heard of her completing her 1st 5k and this fall we were able to run a 5k with her.  It didn’t take long before we convinced her that running longer was worth it and we made plans for a half marathon this January.  Today we had planned a 10-mile run together, her first time at hitting double digits.  This was going to be a memorable run due to the length and complicated by the surprise snowstorm that arrived with her this morning.  You could sense her excitement in the car on the ride over.  As we waited to see if anyone else would be joining us, I had a sense of pride.  I was glad to be a part of this for her, even if she didn’t recognize the importance of it.  There was one other club member brave enough (or dumb enough) to run with us.  We headed out and like most runs started with a quick pace and excited chatter.  After 3 miles things settled down, I assumed my role in the back and we pushed on.  I watched Joe run with his sister, sometimes appearing to laugh and talk with each other and other times just running.  They traded who took the lead.  For the last mile the three of us ran together, completing the whole 10 miles.  I never would have guessed that running would bring us all together.  Had you told me 10 years ago we would do this together I would have laughed.  Had you told me 10 years ago that not only would we do it, but that it would be the highlight of my holiday’s I would have laughed even harder.  Here’s to the 2010 Half Marathon Challenge with my husband and sister-in-law, there are no better runner partners out there and I’m happy to have her to share this with.

Miles trained today: 10

Days till the Manhattan Half: 22

No comments: