Friday, January 8, 2010

Running for Mental Health

The last 2 days I haven't been motivated to get outdoors.  No good reason, the weather has actually been pretty good.  Both days though, I hit the end of my day and just didn't feel right.  Off enough to motivate me to hit the treadmill.  Both days glad I made myself go.  It was less about hitting my weekly mileage goal and more about clearing my head.  Finding a few minutes for myself.  When I run outside I find  myself zoning out, finding that blank spot and staying there for a few miles.  Inside it's a little different, I run with more intensity.  Every lap around that electronic beeping track on the display I increase the speed.  I get to the point where I am pounding out the emotion on the treadmill.  Today I noticed that I was glaring out the window, I didn't look like someone enjoying my run.  Almost slamming my feet down on the machine.  Getting off the treadmill I felt better, not 100% but improved.  I can only wonder what I would be like without the running inside or out.  

Miles trained today: 4.5
Days till the Manhattan Half: 16

1 comment:

shrinkrunner said...

Just came upon your blog. I'm also rambling about my running and mental health. I'm a psychotherapist, so my interest is both professional and personal. I would love to share some thoughts along the way. I'm at shrinkrunner.blogspot.com.