Saturday, January 30, 2010

Pack Mentality

-8 wind chill, yep that's what it felt like at the start of today's run.  This was my coldest run to date, and I felt every second of it.  What's more amazing is the power of a group.  I had no intention of running outdoors today.  I had planned on dropping off the map and heading straight to the treadmill.  Once I reached the coffee shop there were others who were as bundled up as me with the same thought.  We all showed up hoping there would be others, no one real excited about running in this, but all dressed to go.  It was running with others that got me out the door and kept me going for 4 miles.  Alone it would not have happened.  Just knowing that there would be others who could share in the misery of the wind made it more bearable.  I was behind 3 of them for most of my run and I kept moving knowing they were there and would likely notice if I slowed to a walk.  Once everyone got moving we did our different miles at different paces but trickled into the same ending point with the same red faces.  I'm wondering if I will see any of them at the ER later today for treatment of frostbite and mild hypothermia...

Miles trained today: 4
Need to register for another race, miss counting down to something....

No comments: