Saturday, February 20, 2010

the gummy bear that saved my life

Things were going along fine until just past 6 miles. I knew I should have brought some Gu, I didn’t know it would get this bad. Hunger took hold, ravenous hunger. I tried to ignore it, focus on my run; it wouldn’t go away. Joe made a joke and I almost attacked him. I started to scan the roadside for a rogue apple. We had 5 miles left to go, I wasn’t going to survive. We had to cut the run short and even then it was another mile or so to the car. This was going to get ugly. Then the skies parted and there was the sound of angels singing, Melissa had come to save my life. A gummy bear, several gummy bears! They tasted better than Thanksgiving dinner; I could feel my life force coming back. I would live to run again, next time with Gu.

Miles trained today: 8.5

Days till Chicago: 231

No comments: