Thursday, February 18, 2010

I am a runner, who likes it

I run. I run marathons (makes me smile to write this). This means that I have to run a lot. Ok, a lot is a relative term. Granted there are many who run many more miles than I do. Congrats, you people are the crazy ones. I just run most days of the week. Not all, just most. Yes I complain about it, and yes I run in the rain (only reluctantly). I run in cold and heat as well as snow. Indeed, I do beat myself up over track work and other workouts that make a plain old run look as appealing as a chocolate shake. Running websites, books, movies, stores and magazines make my heart flutter a little. I'm slightly obsessive about my running log and yes I keep them from year to year and do go back to see what happened 2 years ago (today was a day off in 2008). I understand what it feels like to loose your self on the roads. I also get what it feels like to have to roads beat you up and have to limp back home. I've cried when I had to give up a marathon, I've also cried when I finished one. I have many running friends who get it and more friends who don't, I love you all the same. I'm lucky enough to have a running spouse who puts up with my obsessions and is along for most of the runs to protect me from barking dogs and crazed paperboys. My dogs run, well only one counts as a training partner, the other is a sprinter at heart who really enjoys running from hydrant to hydrant sniffing. I guess I like it. I have to remind my self of this on days like today where I thought my pick-ups were going to kill me.

Miles trained today: 5

Days till the Chicago Marathon: 233

No comments: