Friday, July 20, 2012

You want to go how far?

So after pestering my swimming friend all week to meet me at GVP this morning, my alarm went off at 6 and I thought very hard about sending a SCMI text (sorry, can't make it).  It was only at my begging that we were going there and not the pool so I fought off the urge, grabbed my stuff got in the car.  It wasn't long til we were wading into the water and making final goggle adjustments when she almost killed me.  "I was thinking out and back to the dock twice".  What?!?!  That would be just over 2 miles, longer than I had gone before and longer than I thought I could go.  Again, this is what I get for hanging around with people training for Ironman distance races.  I put it out of my mind, agreed and off we went for the first out and back.  The whole time trying not to think about having to do it all over again.  At the dock we talked briefly about some sighting techniques so I just remained focused on that.  Once back at the beach there was a brief moment of hope where I thought she had forgotten about the 2nd lap.  Unfortunately I wasn't that lucky, she wished another swimmer well and asked if I was ready.  Ready?  No, I'm going to drown out there due to exhaustion and they'll have to drain this pond looking for my body!  Again reminding myself that this was my own doing for pestering her all week, I just said of course and we started to swim.  It was all good til something grabbed my leg, well rather brushed against it, but I freaked and then lost my rhythm.  Made it to the dock only to have to turn back towards the beach.  There were no freaky attacks of the underwater monster on the way back in and it passed fairly quickly.    So after all my self doubt and grumbling I started the day with a 2 mile open water swim!  Pretty pleased if I don't say so myself!

Swam 2 miles and completed an hour hill workout on the trainer.

No comments: