Saturday, December 5, 2009

Saturday Oh Saturday

I have to admit, like usual I was not looking forward to today’s long run.  There is just a mental block when it comes to Saturday runs.  I’ve decided they don’t work for my running schedule, so make it harder than it needs to be. 

We started out with Erin and Melissa, it was nice to have some company, no offense Joe.  There was some banter in the beginning; it’s always a nice distraction.  What race did you just run?  What are you training for now?  Any fine beers recently consumed?  NYC 2010??  Chicago 2010???  It’s going to be a big year!!  No big run happens without these weekend runs, and did I mention it was raining!!

Around mile 3 every settled in, headphones were adjusted and music was turned on.  Erin pulled away, she’s just a few steps faster, and I had no desire to push it.  I noticed that I was able to stay with Joe and Melissa but would loose it on every hill.  Damn it!  This is a sign that I have to stop putting off more serious training.  Indoor track anyone??  My aversion to these workouts is worse than my aversion to Saturday runs.  It’s like the dentist: you know you have to go or things are going to get a hell of a lot more painful. 

Surprisingly when we hit the top pf the Blvd, I was not out steam.  Melissa decided to run 8 rather than 7 so that helped.  Before I knew it we were making the final turn down Angel St, time to let out what ever was left.  It felt good knowing I had finished what I set out for, didn’t skip out even though the urge was strong.  These runs are where I build the base and more important than the races I complete.

Miles trained today: 8

Days till the Manhattan Half: 50  

No comments: