Wednesday, April 18, 2012

His way or no way

I'm not know for being flexible, it's typically my way or the wrong way and for good or bad the kid has this same attitude. The plan had been to ride on the trainer for an hour during his nap and then hit the pool, too bad I didn't discuss this with him over breakfast as he had different ideas. After 2o minutes of fighting over the nap that never happened we ended up in the car on the way to the Y. 20 minutes doesn't sound long, but he was loud and I was exhausted lacking the energy needed to try harder to win the battle. I cannot tell you how close I came to not getting in the pool. I dropped him off with the other small tyrants and walked back up to the locker room, passing a sitting area littered with today's newspaper. Oh, to just sit and read the paper...if I had a good cup of coffee I would have.

My issue with swimming was I hadn't mentally planned for it, I wasn't sure of a workout and not really in the mood. At that moment I should have been on the trainer and NOT in the pool. It ended up being a good thing though; unlike running and biking where you can really slam it down and be aggressive my swims are focused on the finer details. If I go too hard all that is accomplished is a lot of splashing and my shoulder aches from poor form, so I was forced to slow down a bit. Get my mind out of the nap wars and focus on what my elbows were doing and how the water felt. After a nice long workout I emerged from the pool ready to make peace with the kid. He must have felt the same way as he slept in the car and continued napping at home allowing me to hop on the trainer.

As for the training in general I feel very happy with the gains I've made in the pool and feel like the swim will be manageable and can say the same about the run. Still very unsure about the bike, but not sure where to go with it. I did have my clips removed (going with cleats and straps instead) last weekend and am hoping that will help with some confidence building without slowing me down too much. On the injury front I have a sore hip, but am choosing to ignore it. Before the kid I would have already been at PT, currently I don't have the time or patience for PT. I also know that stretching makes it feel better, something I don't have time for on a regular basis. So I'm making the poor decision to ignore it for now and see what happens.

Trained for 45 mins in the pool and 60 mins on the trainer.

No comments: