Saturday, March 6, 2010

finally starting to make sense

It’s funny when you finally start to realize that you had been looking at something the wrong way. I have always hated tempo runs, finding them to be very stressful and difficult to manage. Over the last 3 weeks I had found success and I wasn’t until today that I figured out what I was finally doing right. Rather than heading out of a particular day deciding that it would be a tempo, I’ve been relaxed. When I review my week, there always seems to be a run that meets the qualifications. This week I had convinced myself that it wasn’t going to happen. I’ve been running slower and hadn’t been able to muster up the energy to give it my all yet this week. Our track work earlier in the week was pretty brutal and had taken a while to recover from. Today was just supposed to be miles, nothing special about them. We started out and I knew we were at a pretty good pace but expected to fall back and did when we hit the hill on Onley. It took over a mile to get beyond all the up-hill and by then I felt like I was dragging. I peaked at my watch and was surprised to see that I was going at a 9:41 pace. Didn’t give it too much thought and just kept going. I don’t think I checked my p ace again during the run, just focused on getting it done. Chatted a little bit, and spent more time just enjoying the sun on my face. Finishing up at the Edge only to find that today was going to count as my tempo, 10min pace (I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself but if this training continues I will surpass my 4:40 goal). Up hills and the wind weren’t enough and even my poor attitude didn’t phase me. Going forward I can’t schedule the tempo, my body knows what to do and all I have to do it get out of my own way!

Miles trained today: 6

Days till Chicago: 217

No comments: