Friday, March 5, 2010

I'm trying to listen

Listen to your body, listen to you body, listen to your body. If I have been told this once since I started running, I’ve heard it too many times to count. If you ask me it’s a useless phrase. If I listened to my body I would stop running immediately and curl up on the sofa with my pup. Today was just one of those days, I was striving for 6 miles and after a few steps thought about forgetting about the whole thing. Now we all know I can get a little obsessive with my planning, and I knew that skipping all 6 would ruin my chances of coming anywhere near my goal for the week. I hung on until about 3.5 and started to falter again, I was just tired. There was no focus; I couldn’t get out of my head, the whole run felt clumsy. If I can make it to 5 I’ll be in good shape. Well you know once I hit 5 there was an inkling to hang on for 1 more mile, but I didn’t. I listened and stopped. Not sure if this is what that phrase is meant to address but I didn’t force myself to finish the entire 6, that’s not mentioning the fact that the 5 miles I did run were completely forced and unpleasant. It’s hard as the weekly mileage grows I’m learning to run on legs that aren’t fully rested, trying to train them to recover quicker. It’s a difficult balance between listening and pushing yourself to the next level and closer to the goal.

Miles trained today: 5

Days till Chicago: 218

No comments: