Tuesday, February 17, 2009

13 miles

It was 14 degrees with the wind this morning, it took me less than 14 seconds to decide to put off running until after work and go back to bed. As I was changing for work, I really had no intention of completing all the miles. Come on now, 13 miles, that’s a half marathon. As I waited for my running partner several runners passed me by, if they are out there I had no excuse. I started out on the first 6.5 mile loop, surprisingly things felt good. No ankle pain, no shin splints. I started to feel the weight of the day fall behind me, that’s saying a lot, today was a Tuesday after a 3 day weekend. We made quick work of the first loop and now the real challenge, I had to wait for Joe and start the whole thing again. Water…Gu…here he is. I stopped for only 3 minutes, but it was long enough to become soaked in sweat. This was going to suck. Off we went, his first loop, my second loop. Things were good until I hit the Blvd. I started to get very hungry. At the cross with Elmgrove, I glanced longingly and thought about cutting it short. Not giving in, we ran forward. At Rochambeau I had thoughts again about cutting it short. If I did that I would have nothing to brag about. A few steps past Rochambeau I knew I had to finish. To be honest at the end of the Blvd., I thought I was going to die. My hunger was full blown and it was getting cold. Some how I tuned it all out and pushed up the last mile and a half. Last time around I remembered how strong I felt, this time I was tired but still moving. I tried to focus on my form. Before I knew it we were turning on Intervale, not much left to go. Joe pulled ahead, I noticed that with every breath out he was engulfed in a pocket of steamy air. When I started running the sun was out and it was still somewhat warm. Finally the stadium, I had done it. 13 miles after work. 2 years ago I could barely run 3 miles, needless to say I’m pretty proud.

No comments: