Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Lonesome

I can’t tell you the last time I ran alone, seriously. 98% of the time I’m with Joe and for those runs he’s not with me, I’m with friends or my dog. I don’t run alone, which is a little odd. I do many other things alone and typically don’t mind it. Being social is not my thing. Today he was running late and I was determined to get the miles in. So I started without him. First there was the debate, “I’ll just wait”. I got over that and got out of the car. I’m not a stretcher, I know I need to be, I’ve heard the lecture. Today I was stretching, before a run, unheard of. Once I got beyond that and looked around a little off I went. I had no idea what I was doing, what pace to set, who to comment too. In some ways I felt like was running naked. Even though my dog isn’t much conversation, she keeps me going and hears all my comments about other people. Today I was alone, it was shocking. About a mile down Elmgrove I realized I wasn’t sure where I wanted to go and there was no one to discuss it with. There would also be no one to discuss it with if I decided to turn around right now and go back to the car. That would be cheating, and I decided to head on our old loop. For the whole 40 mins, I never got comfortable, couldn’t find that groove, something was missing. I kept my eyes peeled for a running partner, anyone. Surely I would run into someone, it never happened. I was dreading the 2nd loop, I’m not doing this alone again. No worries, my trusty partner was there and ready to go!

No comments: