Thursday, November 25, 2010

A race and a half

So today was the first road race since we found about about Junior. I wasn't sure what to expect and went it with limited expectations. I've been running throughout my pregnancy, more so over the last 2 weeks since starting to feel a bit better. The down side is that recently I have been advised by the MD to monitor my heart rate and aim for lower than 140, no higher than 150. My mornings runs have demonstrated that this is not a reality, so I've been running for a mile and then walking to get my heart rate back to the desired range. Today was no exception, although I had to be much more intentional about it. I took off with Mike and Joe and at one point Mike indicated we could move a little quicker and I agreed only to remind myself that no. In fact I would only be slowing down. Joe took of before my first stop and I waved Mike ahead at the first mile marker. The race consisted of me running from mile marker to mile marker and walking for 3 minutes at each marker. Definitely hard to get a flow going. And when I found myself frustrated at mile 3 I reminded myself what was going on here. I was out on the roads, feeling good and growing a human at the same time. My running life for the next few months is not going to look the same as it has in the past. It's only going to work if I allow myself this time. Take the good days as they come and cherish how normal it feels to be out there with my sneaks. The bright side is that if all goes well, next year I'll beat my time as well as the husband who is going to be pushing the stroller!

Miles raced today: 5

No comments: