Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Putting forth the effort

This is the start of a 2 week stretch of 50+ hour work weeks for me, I'm thinking of it as my professional marathon.  Instead of paying a crappy entry fee, I'll be handsomely rewarded on payday.  In addition to keeping our house running, bills paid, fridge stocked and kid breathing we have also been a bit worried about the impact of our workouts and dietary habits.  Sunday night we spent hours in the kitchen, preparing several meals that can be mixed and matched for lunches, dinners and snacks for all 3 of us.  The nice part about it was we were in the kitchen, music going, wine glasses full having a good time with each other and not with the TV on.  It was king of a fond farewell since we will be ships passing each other in the night until Friday.  So we seem to have food figured out, now it's the workouts.  Today sucked, I wanted to sleep when the alarm went off at 6.  I stalled at the water's edge, if Kali had been ok with it I would have just walked right back to my car.  But I'm only going to have 4 opportunities to swim in the next 14 days so to waste it would only be stupid.  Then comes this afternoon, we finally make it to nap time and as I go to make my bed on the way downstairs I almost climb into it.  No!! I can't postpone today's workout as I won't be home for nap time tomorrow.  I'm sitting here now, exhausted but pleased that so far I haven't fallen behind.  Can I keep it up for the whole 2 weeks?  I don't know but I at least need to put forth the effort.  Fitness is very fickle and it wouldn't take much for me to loose the gains I've made over the last few months and staying in bed or getting a nap wouldn't be worth the cost.  Don't get me wrong there are definitely days (ie: last Saturday when the party started at our house at 3am) when the workout gets canned, but these days have to be the exception to the rule and not the norm.

1.6 mile swim and 90 min hill workout on trainer.

No comments: