Sunday, May 31, 2009

What's wrong with this picture?

Sunday morning, 8am, the alarm goes off. Joe and I get out of bed in a rather chipper mood and head to our workout clothes. I had made plans to meet others for a track workout. Why on a Sunday morning? Why not! Rather than get in out car as we normally would have, we took a detour to the shed. Out came the bikes. We were planning on riding to the track. We had planned this for the last several days and finally all road blocks had been removed. My old bike was tuned up, his bike now had air in the tires and I had a brand spanking new helmet. Off we went. Now here's the problem, we live at the bottom of a rather large hill. 20 seconds into the ride and half way up the hill I was huffing and puffing like I do at the end of a track workout. This was seeming like a very bad idea.

During my 2 month injury I had been spending many hours in the pool and on the stationary bike. Feeling down about the whole injury thing and not feeling like I was pushing it hard enough on either the bike or in the pool, I came up with the brilliant idea to register for a triathlon. Now if that wasn't bad enough I convinced my sister (who is just a competitive although she will deny it) to register as well. Now that I'm running again, I'm not nearly as into the triathlon training as I was several weeks ago. But too late, I've already submitted my registration. Hence the reason we rode to the track this morning.

The track itself was not a bad in the beginning as I had anticipated. By the time we crawled under the fence to gain access I had recovered from the bike. Oh yeah, we didn't have keys and had to sneak on. Sorry if anyone reading is from Brown security, it was for a good cause! Sue and I did 5x5 mins at threshold pace, which translates into right around an 8 min mile give or take a few seconds. Now it was my understanding that this type of workout wasn't supposed to feel terrible. My lungs would beg to differ. Needless to say we completed the workout as instructed and did not ditch for morning mimosa's

Biking home felt pretty good, we avoided some of the steep down-hills this time around. I remember as a kid loving to ride downhill at top speed screaming at the top of my lungs with both legs outstretched. Going downhill now is a terrifying experience where I grip my handlebars and brakes with white knuckles and pray that I won't land on the side of the road with a broken shoulder.

No comments: