Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Accidental Athlete

I have to admit it, I got arrogant, very arrogant. Over the last 3 or 4 weeks I've been struggling with one injury or another, just things that keep getting in my way. I thought I had found a solution, well I did find one. Staying off my legs during the week and using the bike and the pool as a supplement, and it's been working. Not like running 40 miles a week does, but a close second. I had hoped for 18 miles today, foolish! Two weeks ago I was able to get through 12 and it was close to 3 weeks before that when we hit 16. I should have had more manageable goals, not that it matters now. My body is only going to do so much and today after 3 hours it called it quits. It actually tried to several miles earlier and I ignored it!

Here's the thing, I have no reason to get pissy about this. 14 miles is FAR, VERY FAR. This whole training has been as much about learning patience and flexibility as it has been about the actual running. Maybe I had the high goal because in the back of my mind I wasn't convinced that I would get in any miles, if we had started and the ankle started to scream, we would have stopped well before 14. I have time to get in 1 or 2 more long runs, and more importantly have a plan to keep myself healthy.

I was never supposed to do this in the beginning, I've never been an athlete, never been interested in anything more than watching the Sox with a beer in my hand. Some how I ended up here, training to run NYC. I was all a mistake, I joined this running club because I was bored with Joe in school. So I began to run a few miles every now and again, then I start running with a friend as she trains for NYC (or was it Boston that year??), I started to think if she's doing this, I can too. Foolish! Next think I know we are crossing the finish line in Newport! And you can't stop with just one, gotta do it faster!! All this running is a gift, I'm not sure why I like the marathon, it hurts like hell and pushes the body further than it's meant to go. After runs like this and months like this past September I have to remind myself that this was all an accident and I should just enjoy the ride!

Days till NYC: 27 (Oh Shit!)
Miles trained today: 14

No comments: