Sunday, October 11, 2009

And the winner is...

We have just retruned from a whirl-wind weekend in White Haven PA visiting Joe's sister. She has recently been bit by the running bug (YIPEE) and we really wanted to have the chance to run a 5k with her. This morning we woke bright and early and headed out to the Rotary 5k Chicken Dinner Run. We were unable to locate past results for this race, so were going in blindly. Things started to make sense when we walked into registration and were warmly greeted by a man who appeared to be the race director "Welcome, we'll give you the discounted rate of $20". Likely due to the lack of change, but none the less we smiled and submitted our forms. He was pleased and mentioned that the turn out was more than expected, 15 runners. Oh God, what did we get ourselves into. Too late now, we were here and dressed for a race.

We had about 30 mins till gun time and Joe quickly pointed out that there were no numbers, how the hell was this going to be timed?!? We walk down to the start line, there are 3 females, Jenn (my sister-in-law), myself and a young woman (who looked about 13). I have a chance here! Who cares that it's by default! I start to take this a little more seriously. The director explained the course, easy enough, out and back on a levee (whatever that is). Simple, flat, beautiful scenery. All I had to do was not be dead last and this would be a success.

Off we go and very quickly I find myself saved by an elderly walker, he would be last! Off we go, it was nice. Jenn and I stuck together for the first mile or so. I haven't done a 5k for a few months and went out too fast. Breathing rapidly I found my groove, the markers were very clearly painted on the ground. I didn't have my watch, but could tell we were going at a good clip with how quickly every quarter mile would pass. Soon we passed the 13 year old, SWEET! I'm guaranteed for 2nd overall female, and Jenn is out of my age group so I have the age group in the bag now as well. Goal is now: don't die!

Pretty soon I see people heading back, before I know it I can see the guy at the turn around spot, Joe passes me in the other direction, laughing! We were being directed to turn around too early!! We turned around just shy of the mile and a quarter mark. Oh well, I'm in it to win it. Off I go heading to the finish. We finish up in good spirits, smiles across all 3 faces! The "elites" of the group go out and figure out that we ran 2.4 miles. Not to shabby, I had an 8:34 pace.

But the best was yet to come!! I have never cared about the awards ceremony of a race, typically the first to leave. Today was different, we waited for them to come out with the results, which was funny itself. Finally the director gathers us on the steps, Overall male, who cares. OVERALL FEMALE: JENN PANDITHER!! My sister-in-law!! Who just started to run!! We swarm her with photos like it was a kindergarten graduation. Then, drum-roll please, 1ST FEMALE AGE 20-29: SARAH MACEDO!!! Yes, I won! Again more pictures, the locals wondered what was wrong with these dramatic Rhode Islanders. Poor Joe, he was a looser among winners, but we still love him and will allow him to continue to train with the newly crowned elites!

A great day to have fun with running!

Miles trained today: 2.4
Days till NYC: 20
Medals earned today: 1

No comments: