Thursday, July 1, 2010

Swimming to save my life

This is a running blog, but I enjoyed my swim so that's what you get tonight. The tri is about 25 days away and I've been neglecting the pool. No reasons, it's just not always at the top of my priority list. Now here's the deal with signing up for the tri, it's more dangerous than any running race I have ever competed in. In case you forgot, it can be LIFE THREATENING. If I get tired on my bike or feet, I slow down and catch my breath. If I get too tired in the ocean, DEATH is an option. That said I decided I needed to ensure I could swim the quarter mile distance again, it's been a year since I've tried. Drum roll please....I swam it. I know, pretty anti-climatic. It was just about that exciting in real life as well. Now I realize why I've had trouble getting to the pool, it's BORING! I did it, it's done. But just remember, when I do it for real on race day it will be in the big scary ocean complete with waves! That is why I will recommit to my swimming efforts and swim 2-3 days a week till race day.

I did go for a run tonight as well and it was pleasurable. Joe is back in town and it's always easier to run with him, unless he drags his feet in lame attempts to stall or even prevent the run from happening (not that this occurred this evening).

Miles trained today: 3
Days till Harvard Pilgrim 10k: 3
Beach 2 Beacon: 37
Chicago: 101

No comments: