Monday, February 20, 2012

20 week count down starts today

Today was day 1 of my 20 week training for the Providence 70.3 Half Ironman. We are taking about a 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike and 13.1 mile run, this is further than my husband will drive in a day without staying overnight. I'm ready, or ready to train. In actuality I've been craving a challenge like this. I've missed the training and the obsessing that comes with it. The last 4 months I've spent rebuilding my base and focusing on incorporating more swimming and cycling. The next 20 weeks will be focused on getting me to the finish line at the RI State House. I have no idea what to expect other than I'm going to make mistakes and as fun as this will be, it's likely going to hurt like hell. The hardest part right now is accepting that this is all new, I'm not sure what I need or where to turn to. I know running, I know track and how to train for a long distance running event. I know my strengths and know very well my weaknesses with running. But this is all new territory, it's overwhelming and exciting all at once. So what are my goals? To get to the starting line healthy and injury free and more importantly to the finish. I have no idea what to expect for a time, I hope to get a better sense of that as training progresses. So here goes nothing!

Ran 4 Miles
Swam 14oo yards

No comments: