Saturday, April 7, 2012

Accidental drowning (almost)

So I made it to the pool on time (a feat that deserves some acknowledgement in itself). The workout was supposed to be speed so after a quick warm up I got going on 20x75yds. It didn't take long for my mind to start wandering. So after a while I played around with my breathing and felt comfortable with that and started to toy with the idea of trying some flip turns. I don't really need to master the flip turn as in the ocean or lake there are no walls to push off of, but I do loose a lot of time in the pool by not doing them. That and again I was bored. All I have to say is that I really hope that the lifeguard was not paying attention to what was happening at the end of my lane. It was like a bad parody of underwater ballet. At one point I went in for the turn, missed the wall, my legs went into the air and I touched the bottom of the pool. Another time half the water of the pool was violently forced into my nose and I think I lost a few brain cells. I'm not sure how people learn to master these basically useless lap swimming stunts, I figure the only way I'll get better is to keep trying them. It's hard to intentionally look so foolish, again I pray that not only the lifeguard but the woman I shared the lane with where both oblivious to my antics. I only tried a few and wish that I could report that there was some improvement, but that's not the case. However, they did provide some entertainment and distraction to help get me through this workout so it wasn't a complete waste of energy. Luckily the run that followed was a standard run requiring no stunts to help with speed.

Trained 45 mins in the pool and ran for 9 miles

No comments: