Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Change of Pace

Upon awakening this morning I found the ground covered in ice. Now we had anticipated this and the contingency plan called for us each to take turns on the treadmill. Didn't happen. Instead I napped on the couch until it was time to go to work. Throughout the day I thought about running and more often excuses not to run tonight. Conveniently I found 2 errands to run, but still there was enough time. Besides if I didn't get some miles in today I wouldn't have made my goal for the week. It had stopped raining on my way home from Whole Foods so I thought about taking Mia out with me as Joe was still at work. A careful review of the roads changed that plan. The sidewalks were still covered in a grey slush like mixture that would soak my shoes and running on the road was out given the large puddles that cars were hitting full speed ahead. Could life get any worse?? An after work run (terrible), shitty weather (even worse) and now the only option was the TREADMILL. God I hate the treadmill. Got home and made up my mind. I had 30 minutes before I had to turn the chicken, so the dogs got some peanut butter bones and down I headed to the dismal basement. When I turned on the TV there was a commercial so I turned on the i-pod while I warmed up. After a while I felt myself really pounding this run out. Clearly, I was running out some frustration. Not a bad thing, so I cranked up the volume and the speed and knocked it out. I envisioned the mile race in Bermuda next week and tried to imagine the energy I will feel when I speed across that finish line before Joe. I envisioned myself at the Providence Marathon coming in under 5 hours and feeling better than I had at the Breakers. Most importantly I was not in my basement on a shitty day. At the end of the 30 mins I made it back upstairs to turn the chicken and get the rest of dinner ready. I felt light on my feet, relieved from the days stressors. Normally a morning runner, this type of energy late in the day is somewhat foreign. I enjoyed the run and the escape it gave me but will enjoy pounding the pavement tomorrow at my regular time with my regular crew.

No comments: