Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Some things never change

3 years ago I was anxious when I pulled up to the track. I had on cotton sweat pants and a cotton tee, no special running sneaks. Had no idea what to expect, and was blown away when the expectation was a 3 mile run. Blown away more when I finally finished pulling at times slower than an 11min mile. Today I went to that same track with those same anxieties. I can’t do this. It will be too fast. It will be too hard. I had my running gear on from head to toe and hit the track running. During the warm up I caught up with others who I missed during the winter hibernation. Anxieties started to fade until the bait and switch was unveiled. I came expecting 400m, 300m, 200m, 100m times 3, was told nope, go do 4x a mile. What the f*ck!! Too late I’m here, in the back of my mind I knew I could do this. I had kept up with my workouts over the winter. We started and by the time the 2nd lap came around I found my rhythm. The arms were moving, breath moving in and out, legs pumping. Sue and I alternated the lead on the miles, keeping steady every lap, at times seeming to be on autopilot. I had gone from being called out for poor form, taking off too fast, not being able to finish, to someone who knew what they were doing and doing it well. It was the confidence builder I needed to start off the season. I can do this, I will do this and Chicago will be a better marathon as a result.

Miles trained today: 6

Days till Chicago: 192

Days till Beach 2 Beacon: 131

Days till Cox Half: 31

No comments: