Wednesday, May 12, 2010

resting appears to have worked

Pure panic, that’s the only way to describe my frame of mind on Monday morning. I noticed at work that when I stepped on my left leg there was a pin point of soreness. This started late on Sunday and was no better Monday morning. So I did what anyone would do, I started to google “quad pain”. It was only a matter of minutes before I had worked myself into a blind panic. My pain now had become a full blown stress fracture of the femur that was going to require 6 weeks on crutches. After some deep breathing exercises and reassuring e-mails from coaches I calmed down. Stress fracture unlikely, more likely, a quad strain from the hills of last week. Now what to do? Time off was required but not desired. But I did it. I did not run Sunday, Monday and even Tuesday. I have to admit this is the first time I have backed off immediately at the first sign of injury and I have to report it worked. Not only did I kill a hill workout tonight, but I had enough in me to enjoy a 2 mile cool down. Lessons learned, when pain begins:

1. Stay off the internet

2. Rest for 2-3 days

3. Drink wine to distract from lack of running

Miles trained today: 7

Days till Harvard Pilgrim 10k: 53

Beach 2 Beacon: 87

Chicago: 151

No comments: