Saturday, August 27, 2011

Cranberry Tri

Completing a tri takes a pretty good amount of coordination. I bring a basket with swim stuff, biking stuff and bike, running stuff, transition area stuff, nutrition stuff and clothes for after. Add a baby to this mix and oh goodness! Today was about dividing and conquering, Joe was on baby duty and I had everything else with the added addition of boob stuff. Yes, a pump and 4 bras. Why 4? One to wear to the race that allows for pumping in the car, 2 for racing and 1 for after. I said this was complicated. The race itself was a good time, once it started and I stopped freaking out about what I was getting myself into. I would argue with the race directors that it was not a half mile swim, seemed short to me, but that doesn't really matter. The master's swimming has helped tremendously with my stroke and confidence, maybe next time I'll start with my wave rather than hanging back and letting everyone else go. The bike was not my favorite but what can I ask for given I refuse to train on my bike. It was also broken, yep a broken spoke that I remembered needed to be fixed after last year's race. Eventually I would like to try a longer distance so with that goal in mind I will train better and race with a bike that's not broken. The run felt better than anticipated, see it's this whole low expectation thing working out for me. I didn't break any records but had a good time out there. The highlight of my day was not my own finish but being able to watch a friend finish her first tri. Being a part of someone else's celebration made all the hassle and pre-race jitters worth it. Like always, I finish with the tri bug, wanting to do more and more.

Miles raced today: .5 swimming, 11 biking and 3 running

No comments: