Tuesday, January 31, 2012

First run after the crash

10 year old boys fall of their bikes, so I didn’t fall. I crashed my bike on Sunday. If you see me riding by in the future and I don’t wave, it’s because of this fall. I will never wave at someone I pass again, ever. Yes, that includes my crowds of adoring fans at races, I’m not going to make eye contact with any of you and no I’m not going to fist pump for a photo op. As dramatic as I’m being about all of this, I survived with no injuries beyond some amazingly large and colorful bumps and bruises. It’s a good thing that it’s not summer because I’m not sure I could bear it all at the beach appearing so multi colored. And even more importantly the bike survived with only a few scratches. So now the decision before me this morning was if I should run or wait another day. Pro and con arguments could be made for both taking more time to recover as well as skipping, but in the end I decided to feel it out; mainly because I’m fully expecting to feel terrible at the end of the run during the 70.3. I don’t need to get used to ignoring injury but I do need to prepare for running through a certain level of discomfort. As I got ready to run and winced as I pulled my shorts up over a still swollen bruise I thought about skipping it for a hot shower but forced myself down onto the treadmill. The first few steps were awful and things didn’t really get better until the end of the 2nd mile. But after that, things were cake; everything felt good. So here’s to surviving both my first crash and that first run after the crash!
Miles trained today: 3

No comments: