Wednesday, June 13, 2012

1 year, 90 mins, 526

I got a lot of numbers to discuss today so bear with me.

We survived our first year of parenting and I'm closing in on my first year of training with a baby.  Cheers all around, all 3 of us are still breathing and still laugh daily so something is going right!  It's been a wild ride and I'm happy to report that I'm foggy on many of the gory details - no sleep and poor nutrition will do that to you!  I'm also happy to  report that you can continue to race and train with a kid.  Things are different, very different, from how life used to be but both Joe and I still get out there on a regular basis.  This summer we have several tri's on the horizon, as well as the Rock and Roll half marathon, The Blessing of the Fleet.  My only question is, how many miles till the jogger needs to go in for a tune up?!?

The other big deal about reaching the 1 year mark is now the kid can stay at the Y daycare for up to 90 mins.  Until now I've been using him as an excuse to keep all swims to no more than 45 mins.  I was really jazzed about this when I was headed to the pool, about half way through my "longer" workout I started to curse the new rule.  It's not like the staff ever paid close attention to the timing, but I felt like "Hey, I only have 45 mins and that's not my fault".  Now there's really no excuse.  Swimming just seems to take FOREVER, it's hard to pass the time when there's nothing to look at beyond that black line at the bottom of the pool.  At least I can now play around with some different workouts, the ones I've been using are feeling a bit stale.  Thankfully the kid didn't seem to mind playing a little longer than usual, although I'm still waiting for the day where my swim in interrupted by a dirty diaper (they draw the line at cleaning the poop).

526 this is my bib number for Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.  I got sick to my stomach and close to hyperventilating when I found my bib # and swim wave posted on the site.  All these birthday celebrations have acted as a nice distractor.  After a pretty kickass weekend of training I know I'm ready.  Again, my goal btw now and then is to avoid injury at all costs.  It's also to prepare my husband for the fact that he's going to find me celebrating a finish in the medical tent hooked up to a nice IV, gotta keep the expectations low!


Ran 3 miles and swam for 50 mins.

1 comment:

Pam said...

Congrats! Forget about a birthday cake for the kiddo. You and your hubby need to go out for some serious drinks to celebrate!!!